[extropy-chat] Eugen Leitl, you got Klez

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Feb 9 22:05:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 12:51:38PM -0800, Russell Evermore wrote:

> Ok, I've got SEVEN messages in my "deleted"  folder supposedly from Eugen
> Leitl to ExI chat list. I could forward them back but wouldn't without your

You didn't even bother to check the originating address. You just complained to
the list, loudly, that "Eugen got Klez, don't let him post here".

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,52174,00.html

The only way to know for sure is to check the signature.

> request to do so. All messages appear to reply to various current topics but
> include NOTHING in the message bodies. All include the following pair of
> attachments ATT00035.txt and ATT00038.dat.

Sure looks like Klez to me. Or, Microsoft ignoring an IETF RFC. From 1996, no
less (no surprise there). Which is a signature. You probably heard of IETF?
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2015.txt
You might not have heard of MIME: http://hunnysoft.com/mime/

Perhaps you've heard of that Intarweb thing.

> Sincere apologies to Eugen if this unprecidented problem is somehow only at

I'm not going to accept that apology, because white man speaks with forked
tongue, vide infra:

> my end, though I would appreciate a jargon-free explanation, not
> MUAMALWARERFC2015 purple elephant dingy dongs allright?

I presume http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Rants/gpg-signed-mail.html goes in
more detail.

"As to the immediate problem, the short answer is that:

    * Your mailer is broken.
    * This is your problem, not mine.
    * File a bug report with your vendor.
    * I'm going to continue signing my mail, and if you don't change your end
    * of things, you're going to continue having problems reading it.

      In some cases (you're cute, my mom, or you're offering sufficient
reasons per hour), I'll make exceptions, but this is on a case-by-case basis,
and I'm intentionally leaving it as a PITA manual process so that each of us
is reminded it's a bad idea: me, when I do it, you, when I forget and you're
stuck with unreadable mail from me. GET A REAL MAILER.
    * No, this isn't a virus, a bomb, a bug, a worm, or any other executable
    * code. And if it is, that's your problem, not mine.
    * If your IT or MIS department is brain-dead enough to actually strip off
    * these attachments before you get your mail, I'm going to laugh at you
    * in public. Sorry, this ain't the sympathy department. There's a nice
    * rant below about why this is such a pathetic action though. You might
    * enjoy reading it.

The long answer is the rest of this document."

> Or did I miss the extropy-chat guidelines that specify:
>
> -Piss off if you use Outlook Express

No. I could hardly care less which MUA you're using (because I don't see
Microsoft viruses, otherwise you'd be one of the problems, by insisting to
run the single MUA responsible for >95% of all Microsoft malware, did I
already mention that? I believe I did). Just don't tell a public list of
more or less technical people I'm sending you a Microsoft virus. And then
complain, again to the list, about your personal choices in MUAs.

Implying, that I'm somehow at fault. Excuse me? This is the former extropians
list. We used to have standards. Are you try to set a new low for this
list?

> -You're not wanted if you don't have the Penguin

Again, I could hardly care less which MUA you use. Just don't bitch and moan
about it.

> -You're a dolt if you don't spend hours and hours figuring out what a MUA
> MALWARE FC2015's are.

Actually, if you post to this list, and have never heard of a frigging search
engine my patience kinda starts wearing thin.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=RFC+2015&btnG=Google+Search

http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=MUA+RFC+2015&btnG=Google+Search

http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=malware&btnG=Google+Search