[extropy-chat] Software exposure: was Re: Eugen Leitl, you got Klez

BillK bill at wkidston.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Feb 10 09:25:59 UTC 2004

On Mon Feb 09, 2004 06:10 pm Robert J. Bradbury wrote:
> Though I am an extropian and dozens on the list would probably
> testify to my commitment to long and productive lives (particularly
> my own) -- you can pry the mallet from my cold and disfigured hands
> from smashing Outlook, I.E. and to a lesser extent windows itself
> into small little bits. It would be a sacrifice but some have to
> be made for humanity. The cost doesn't even come close to the
> benefits. They could have done much much better. One can only
> ask "*what* were they thinking?".

It is historical really.
In the good old days people were amazed to get anything at all working
on these new-fangled personal computers. Pcs were low-powered 286, 386
or 486 machines with little spare capacity. The machines were working
flat-out just to do ordinary tasks. Security never even entered their
heads. When virus-scanners first appeared everyone complained that they
slowed their pcs down too much.
MS didn't discover the Internet until quite late on and by then their
windows systems had already been designed with ease-of-use in mind.

By the time MS added security as an objective to their software, it was
too late.

BillK