[extropy-chat] Software exposure: was Re: Eugen Leitl, you got Klez

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Feb 10 11:07:46 UTC 2004

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 09:17:14PM +0930, emlyn on nagero wrote:

> WordStar? I'd *love* to see you go back to using a 386 with WordStar. Lol!

I'd had no trouble running vim (this message is written via a 128 kBit/s
uplink, each keystroke going to a Linux box several 100 km away, via ssh on a
i386 box. It would not be a dramatic deviation (though that box is doing a
lot of other things as well) from the current status quo.

> But Bill's right Eugen, in that these machines (um, I mean Windows OSes)
> were never designed to be networked like this. It's an unfortunate result

Yeah, they wrote an OS from scratch that couldn't do multitasking, multiuser,
had no security in mind, nor did have a TCP/IP stack. I.e., they turned the
clock back 15-20 years at the time of release. If you see any of these

	http://www.thehumorarchives.com/attachment_files/microsoftcorp.jpg

please report these dangerous cyberterrorists to the Office of Homeland security.

> of history.

It's not a result of history. It's a result of a bunch of idiot developers
and a lucky accident being taken forward by shrewd, very unscrupulous
businessmen.

I.e. I'm missing the technology angle in this whole steaming pile of excrement.