[extropy-chat] FWD [forteana] Fruit fly genome music

JDP jacques at dtext.com
Tue Feb 10 15:39:34 UTC 2004

Max M wrote:

> Terry W. Colvin wrote:
>
>> [Where is the fruit fly longevity poster? - twc]
>>
>> I have a friend who's spent the last several months writing software to
>> play gene sequences as music. He just sent me his 7MB .wav of the fruit
>> fly genome. It's pretty damned cool.
>

> Hmmm ... what algorithm does he use to encode the DNA to music?
>
> DNA has no immediate and direct way to be transfered to music. So either
> the music is almost totally random in style, or the transfer algorithm
> is more important than the DNA in creating the music.

That would be my first guess, too, but is it necessarily so?

Is there pattern in DNA? I know that the 4^3 possible triples of
nucleotids all code for an amino-acid (various triples coding for the
same amino-acid), but some are probably more common that others.

And what about chains of codons: can any triple follow any triple?
Aren't some sequences of triples/amino-acids vastly more common that
other, so that it could easily be mapped onto pattern in sound?

Is auditorization/playing (vs. visualization) of data used in certain
fields to help the human brain to find pattern?

Jacques