[extropy-chat] Re: Religion: Subject Change! How can you Trust Anythingfrom the Bible - Wise Maji or Not?

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 11 15:54:49 UTC 2004

--- Alfio Puglisi <puglisi at arcetri.astro.it> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
>
> > Usually the Pope takes the blame
> >as the most anachronistically conservative religious figure around,
> >but he's not a creationist.  In fact, compared to what's coming out
> >of the US Bible Belt, the Pope, even in his current most
> conservative
> >incarnation, looks rather progressive.
>
> I read somewhere some years ago that, in a meeting with some
> scientists,
> the Pope pretty much acknowledged the Big Bang as the creation, and
> that studying the Universe using science from that moment on was OK.
> Sorry, but I don't have specific references.

Of course, when the Pope announces something like this, you will get
both atheists AND anti-papist protestants propagandizing against the
Big Bang and for a steady state hypothesis simply because if the Pope
endorses something, it must either be wrong (in the case of atheists),
or the work of the whore of babylon (in the opinion of anti-papists).

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey