[extropy-chat] Re: Religion: Subject Change! How can you Trust Anythingfrom the Bible - Wise Maji or Not?

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 11 16:17:44 UTC 2004

--- Brent Neal <brentn at freeshell.org> wrote:

> Again, I will state that the Pope's record on cosmology and
> astrophysics must also be taken along with his record on reproductive
> biology and infectious diseases.
>
> And, of course, the fact that he implies that intercourse between
> husband and wife can never be rape. But that's almost too ad hominem
> for these boards. :)

That is rather easy: Catholic marriage vows do not say "I will honor
and submit to my husband, when I'm in the mood or don't have a
headache". Contracts mean what they say. If a woman consents to a
Catholic wedding, she should expect to take her wedding vows seriously.
The Church doesn't allow you to write your own vows, BTW.

I have less problem with church wedding vows than I do with state
marriage licensing, which is essentially polygamy, as you marry not
just your wife, but the state as well, which is why and how the DCYF
gets authority to interfere with domestic affairs. Marriage licensing
grew out of Jim Crow laws here in the US as a means of limiting
interracial marriage. Prior to the civil war, free people needed no
license to marry. Pre-civil-war marriage licenses were little more than
the equivalent of AKC papers for slaves.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey