[extropy-chat] Religion: A discussion

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Thu Feb 12 01:06:25 UTC 2004

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Daniel Matthews wrote:

> Attempting to force social change through the suppression of old patterns of
> behavior will usually fail. It is better to emphasize and encourage the
> behaviors that are desirable rather than trigger a backlash that is driven by
> any cognitive dissonance that your "revolutionary" approach may induce.
[snip]

I think Daniel may have gotten closer to the questions I was trying to raise.
(Offlist comments with Natasha and Mike have contributed to my thoughts).

I will pose the question in its most extreme form (since I am going to get
crucified anyway -- which may feed back into the historical discussion of religion)...

But how do extropians behave when they know the answer to the question:
   What is this human individual worth in terms of extropic potential?

Lets assume that the antiaging therapeutics fail.  What will be the value
of myself or Damien or Anders in another 40 years?  One can reasonably
assume our memories will be going down the tubes.  Now I, Anders and Damien
presumably have distinct extropic values.  Propose a reasonable argument
presenting a case as to how to determine that we are more extropic alive
than dead.  Though I hesitate to bring this up the question I have to ask
is whether this could have been a factor in Sasha's thinking?

R.