[extropy-chat] Animals

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Thu Feb 12 13:29:05 UTC 2004

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Avatar Polymorph wrote:

> The sun's expansion would destroy life on Earth in 500 million years, well
> prior to it turning into a red giant.

>From an extropic perspective is unreasonable to assume this scenario.
(I have not bothered taking on all of the astronomers who promote this
perspective however -- since it is perhaps hundreds to thousands of
individuals and I simply do not view it as worth my time).

For this statement to make sense you either have to argue that humanity
will be extinct or will have exited the solar system long before that
"natural" condition might take place *or* argue that humanity if it
exists as long as 500 million years will not engineer either the Earth
or other habitats or the sun so this simply will not happen.  One then
has real probabilities problems.

You cannot ignore the presence of intelligence as a component in the
evolution of the universe.

R.