[extropy-chat] BIO: overtorqing the luddites

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Mon Feb 16 00:31:07 UTC 2004

It occurs to me (because I'm in a strange mood this
afternoon having watched a 12 car pile-up with one
car managing a triple flip in the Daytona 500 -- *What*
are these people thinking driving around at 180 MPH???
Lord is there material for whatever late night show
does "stupid human tricks"...  There are days when I
just want to throw in the towel with respect to humanity.)

Allright, rant aside, it looks as if by combining things
like human cloning capabilities (coming out of Korea) and
long term embryo preservation (coming out of Israel) that
one would now be able to produce embryos, harvest stem
cells, turn them into offspring, freeze the remaining
portions of those embryos and then allow them to mature
at some later date.  The net result being that the children
are much older than the parents.

Now that capability is *really* going to upset (overtorque)
a number of people once they figure it out.

Robert (sitting at his desk rubbing his hands and laughing
kind of wildly in a Mel Brooks kind of style...)