[extropy-chat] Face Transplants

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Mon Feb 16 15:45:36 UTC 2004

At 03:05 PM 2/15/04 -0800, Olga wrote:
>"Society may not be quite ready for the day when a dead person's face is
>recycled for the living - but that day is coming...
>
>... Faces are the most visible portion of human identities. They're how we
>think of ourselves, how others recognize us. The possibility of altering
>that identity so radically - a science-fiction plot device made real - could
>make people recoil, perhaps eroding support for the operation.":

I was not able to read the article, but engineering faces is
fascinating.  We will have to rethink and relearn how we "read" people's
faces.  It is fairly easy to recognize a face that has had reconstruction
or does have removable parts.  We would need the capability detect the
seamless replaced faces, and another capability o go into the brain and see
the lines of experience within the brain that had once been worn on the bio
face.

Natasha Vita-More

President, Extropy Institute
Join the Vital Progress ("VP") Summit — on the Internet —February 15-29, 2004
About the VP Summit http://www.extropy.org.summitabout.htm
Register for the VP Summit http://www.extropy.org.membership.htm
Your  generous donation of $15.00 will go toward producing the deliverables
of the VP Summit and your name will be added to the list of supporters for
Vital Progress.