[extropy-chat] Time Travel Fund

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 gpmap at runbox.com
Wed Feb 18 06:39:27 UTC 2004

You pay 10 dollars today into the Time Travel Fund, in a few hundred years
the fund is very rich due to compound interest, so as soon as time travel
technology is developed the fund administrators will pay whoever has this
capability to "rescue" you from the present and bring you into the future
world, where presumably you will live forever as an immortal posthuman.
"The concept is that one day, it may be possible for people living far in
the future to retrieve you from your current frame of reference (their
past - your present) and bring you into the future (their present - your
future)... We establish a fund in current time. You make a small
contribution to the fund, and in a few hundred years that small amount grows
to a very large amount. From that fund, moneys will be taken and used to
retrieve you, perhaps seconds after you join, perhaps even moments before
your recorded death, perhaps some other point in your lifetime. Further, the
fund may even pay to have you "rejuvenated" medically (assuming this is
scientifically possible at that time,) and support you financially for a
number of years. (Note: Retrieving you just before the moment of death is
just one possible scenario, but one that would avoid any Star Trek(TM) type
paradoxes. There are an unlimited number of other possibilities, and we do
not know what they will do, we can only make reasonably informed guesses.)"
I do not think this is a serious initiative, but I believe the core concept
is sound. Even if operational time travel technology (in the sense of going
to the past) is never developed, the technology to acquire information from
the past could be developed someday. Then it would be possible "anticipating
the Omega Point": fetching people from their time and bring them into their
future. Of course the question is, why should they want to do it, and why
should they want to revive you of all people. Offering to pay seems a
reasonable way to motivate them.
---