[extropy-chat] Witch-hunting (Was gay marriage)

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Thu Feb 19 03:59:18 UTC 2004

Major wrote:

>If you start treating people who have political opinions and express
>them in a legal way as spies (which is what clause was apparently
>about) you are right back in the McCarthy era.

It's a good comparison because, as the evidence now devastatingly shows,
the US *was* infested for decades at the highest levels by Soviet agents,
sympathizers, and dupes.

I'm trying to imagine how much freedom and life would have been preserved
had we had effective counter-intelligence and anti-Communist zeal instead.
When would the USSR have had atomic weapons, absent the spies? We surely
would have been able to block the Soviet imprisonment of Eastern Europe
without the presence of influential Communists in FDR's administration.

Would my relatives be alive if there'd been honest reporting of Stalin's
deliberate starvation of the Ukraine? Would Amara have more family alive if
Latvia had been restored to a free republic when WW II ended? Might Sasha
still be with us had the Soviet Union collapsed decades sooner?

I sympathize with reasoned opposition to domestic defensive measures or an
interventionist foreign policy. The question is what to do instead, in the
face of the presence of a persistent group determined to hurt us. Starting
from where we are today, not presupposing anarchotopia or libertopia.

-- David Lubkin.