[extropy-chat] SPACE: new planet?

Sat Feb 21 23:20:47 UTC 2004

David Lubkin wrote,
> Absent a cheap, hand-waving magic physics, interstellar
> travel is presumed to be expensive. Either a high energy
> cost propulsive system or a long-duration flight (generation
> ship or suspended animation or immortals or robotic).
>
> But. The coolest thing to me about Kuiper and Oort is the
> possibility of their ubiquity. If Proxima Centauri has an Oort
> cloud, it will overlap ours. We don't need a trillion-dollar
> starship or an FTL drive. The natural, gradual processes of
> wanting some elbow room when civilization is too cramping or
> wondering what's over the next hill that spread us across
> this planet can spread us to the stars -- in planetoid-sized hops.

Yes!  I see the structure of the universe's habitable planet(oid)s as a
matrix of the bubble-shaped Oort Clouds covering the galaxy, with big empty
spaces down in the gravety wells around stars.  This is totally different
from traditional futurist thinking about interstellar travel to other
planets.  I also see the little hops spreading out in all directions, and
not the big hops across empty space that most sci-fi has described.  The
future is totally different than what we had predicted.  There are more
worlds, closer worlds, smaller hops, and lower technology requirements than
we earlier imagined.  This has made me more confident of future interstellar
expansion than ever before.  These Pluto-type worlds are the interstellar
worlds of the future.  They far outnumber the classical planets by hundreds
of thousands to one.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,