[extropy-chat] Alcor situation [was: Re: Stump - Alcor Member]

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Sun Feb 22 07:32:22 UTC 2004

John Grigg has requested that I post the following message from him to the
list.

> From starman2050 at lycos.com Sat Feb 21 20:03:05 2004
> Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 15:15:18 -0800
> From: John Grigg <starman2050 at lycos.com>
> Subject: Urgent Alcor message for you & Extrolist

Alcor needs your help before THIS Thursday!

Arizona Representative Bob Stump
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/MembersPage.asp?Member_ID=85 is trying to
pass a bill into law which would put Alcor under the regulation of the
funeral industry and also limit it to no more than five years of having a
suspended patient in storage within the state of Arizona.

He has not cooperated with Alcor to create a fair bill, but instead has
been underhanded and not even informed Alcor of when hearings were to be.
And with one Arizona funeral industry director saying if necessary he
would regulate Alcor out of existance, these are disturbing times.

At http://www.alcor.org/legislativealert.html Alcor's new president, Joe
Waynick, discusses the urgency of the situation and implores people to
take the fight to the Arizona state legislature.  He gives excellent
counsel & background info on drafting a (polite, but firm) letter to make
a difference and gives contact information.

I ask everyone to do their part and contact these politicians before it is
too late.  This is an emergency situation and the hearing is this
Thursday!

John Grigg