[extropy-chat] 14 Superfoods for long life?

BillK bill at wkidston.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Feb 23 20:03:45 UTC 2004

BBC TV news has just shown a news item about a new book that lists 14
"super foods" that fight disease and prolong life.

SuperFoods Rx : Fourteen Foods That Will Change Your Life
by Steven G. Pratt, Kathy Matthews

<http://content.health.msn.com/content/article/81/96952.htm>

<http://content.health.msn.com/content/article/82/97166.htm>

The 14 foods recommended are:

# Beans: A great low-fat, low-calorie source of protein and an easy way
to help control your weight and your blood sugar.
# Blueberries: The best food on the planet to preserve a young brain as
we mature.
# Broccoli: The best food on the planet to prevent cancer.
# Oats: A sure-fire way to lower your cholesterol.
# Oranges: The most readily available source of vitamin C, which in turn
lowers the rate of most causes of death in this country, for example,
heart disease and cancer.
# Pumpkin: Loaded with phytonutrients, which keep our skin young and
help prevent damage from sunlight.
# Wild salmon: A guaranteed way to lower your risk for cardiac-related
death.
# Soy: The only complete vegetarian source of protein.
# Spinach: The best food on the planet to prevent cataracts and
age-related macular degeneration, thus ensuring a lifetime of good vision.
# Tea -- green or black: The easiest and cheapest no-calorie way to
avoid heart disease and cancer.
# Tomatoes: One of the easiest ways for men to avoid prostate cancer is
the consumption of tomatoes and tomato-based products.
# Skinless turkey breast: The leanest meat source of protein on the planet.
# Walnuts: Consuming walnuts is an easy, tasty way to lower your risk of
cardiovascular disease.
# Yogurt: A tasty, easy way to boost your immune system.

One good point is that he also recommends similar alternatives for each
item. e.g. Licopene, the red pigment in tomatoes, is also found in pink
grapefruit, watermelon, and some types of papaya.

In general it all seems to be sensible advice. The only one I found some
reservations about is soy products.

These foods have all been recommended by many other people and I don't
see any harm in adding them to your diet.

Anybody else heard about this diet change?

BillK