[extropy-chat] website gravestone

Kevin Freels kevinfreels at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 25 15:44:51 UTC 2004

I came up with this idea in 1996 while I was working at a funeral home (it
lasted about 3 months). The prototype that Iused as an example was made from
laptop parts embedded into a headstone. I actually went through the process
of having the stone cut to fit my parts and put it together! The prototype
had to have power supplied, but I was working on a way to recahrge the
battery with solar cells.
A brass engraved plate was hinged to cover the screen and was flipped into
the up position to reveal the screen. (The plan was for a touch screen but I
didn;t have the money to get that kind of technology) It was all read from a
CDROM and it included the ability to do things such as present new
information based on the date. In this way, a father could give new advice
to his 16 year old daughter that he would never give his 6 year old even if
he died when she was 5.

There was a lot more to this, but I was laughed out of every funeral home in
the city and some in other cities. I was told that this business was a "very
conservative" and "serious" business and that my ideas were just too far out
for that. Meanwhile, Elvis fans were being buried in Cadillac shaped coffins
that promised to play Elvis music for eternity!

Finally, after several attempts, I threw my hands up in the air. 3 years
later, I heard a Japanese company was doing something similar. Now I can;t
find anything about it. Either way, I',m too pissed off to care.