[extropy-chat] Timeshifting

Max M maxm at mail.tele.dk
Fri Feb 27 10:37:23 UTC 2004

Robert J. Bradbury wrote:

> Doesn't handle the reassembly of a human problem which seems
> to be discussed in the recent "Time Travel" thread.  But
> does raise the question of how much information about what
> a person viewed, liked, did, genes (as Spike pointed out)
> does one need before one gets something close enough to
> the original that the differences don't matter?  For
> example -- how much of my mind is based on movies I
> have seen, on talk shows I have listened to, on books
> I have read, etc.?

I don't think you can recreate a person that way.

When I think back on what has changed/shaped me I allways come to think
some resonating ideas/experiences.

Meaning that a few things has stuck in my mind, and made a serious
impact on how I have percieved the world from then on.

This implies to me, that a few basic powerfull ideas has a lot of impact
on the individual.

Those doesn't nessecarily come from your reading list. But more often by
reading something on that list that resonates with your experiences.

But I also belive that it is just as important to get these ideas when
you are ready for them. Otherwise they will not resonate as well.

Just think of the times when you have had a bunch of ideas fitting
together very well, but it was not until others gave them a name that
you had that aha! experience. Transhumanism spring to mind as an obvious
example.

regards Max M Rasmusen, Denmark