[extropy-chat] Re: White House To Seek Ban On Gay Sex On The Moon

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 28 06:54:06 UTC 2004

> At 05:41 PM 2/27/2004 +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
>
> >Social conservatives all over are up in arms against gay marriage.
> >I realize I'm probably asking the wrong audience here, but can
> >somebody explain to me WHY?

There are some even more interesting questions, such
as what will become of those marriages performed in
February in San Francisco.  There were thousands of
gay weddings, but ordinarily in a city that size there
are hundreds of male-female marriage licenses issued
each month.  Do these now have a check box somewhere
on them that specifies if the groom is male and the
bride female?  When I applied for my own marriage
license twenty years ago, no one asked me to prove
that I was male, no one asked my wife to prove that
she was female.  My cousin was born ambiguous gender,
raised male.  (S)he married an unambiguous female
22 years ago, no one asked to see his privates.  He
eventually divorced and married another ambiguous
gender raised female, and no one asked to examine
her genitals at that time either.

So what if some constitutional amendment comes into
being which requires marriage to be between a male
and a female?  Would everyone be required to prove
their gender?  And if so, exactly what constitutes
proof of gender?  Who makes the call?