[extropy-chat] Alert for Suspicious Farmers' Almanacs

Samantha Atkins samantha at objectent.com
Thu Jan 1 00:32:21 UTC 2004

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 13:59:49 -0800 (PST)
"Robert J. Bradbury" <bradbury at aeiveos.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Adrian Tymes wrote:
>
> > How do these compare?  Requiring marshals on planes
> > does not itself imply it is okay to trample on
> > anyone's rights just because of some factor that has a very
> > shaky, if any, correlation to terrorists.
>
> Its a double edged sword and one that could cause endless
> debate that I'm not sure would be productive.  But a
> couple of things seem true -- it isn't clear *whose*
> laws in effect during international flights so it
> isn't clear whose rights you have -- (originating
> country, destination country, passport country,
> international or UN rules???).  Second though I
> think most passengers would be grateful to someone
> taking aggressive action towards someone who is
> perceived as dangerous -- there are significant
> risks to the plane, flight crew and passengers
> when firearms are involved.  We have all seen
> various hijacking films (real or fictional) and
> it isn't clear what the best strategies are.

You only use highly frangible ammo on a plane.  The risk with proper ammo and training need be no greater than in any crowd scenario stopping a dangerous person.

> The same is true for the Almanac checks -- but
> I'd be happy to explain why I had an Almanac if
> I thought it was going to stop even a single
> terrorist act.

I will not be happy until I am free of unwanted harrassment by all government officials and agents.    The other choice leads to the eventual terrorization of the people by their own government.   How many honest, law-abiding citizens in the US do you think are to some degree leaving in anxiety to outright terror of their own government and its various agents?  How many live in fear of the IRS, BATF, DEA, FDA unreasonable lawsuits, draconian selectively enforced laws and so on?  Not one of us is safe by the hands, stated intentions, written policies and practices of our own government.  So why exactly do we believe giving them more power and giving away what shreds of rights remain to us will make us safer?

-s