[extropy-chat] fermi's paradox: m/d approach

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 1 23:56:56 UTC 2004

--- Spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> as communication devices.  But when the internet came
> along, the distance between us suddenly decreased by
> orders of magnitude, which brought together such wonderful
> examples of spontaneous order as extropians, the math and
> science chat groups, the parallel computing efforts and
> so on.  The M/D suddenly decreased to the point where
> I personally found it worthwhile to spend a large percentage
> of my free time exchanging memes online.
>
> >  Our sub-light speed communications are too
> > slow and weak.
> > Anybody actually communicating over interstellar distances
> > would be using
> > faster-than-light speeds if possible, so we don't know how to
> > read their
> > signals yet...  Harvey
> >
> Of course I am eager to be talked out of it, or to be given a
> feasible alternative such as Harvey's we-are-on-the-universal-
> spam-blocker-list notion.  However I must say that I find
> little comfort in the suggestion that Earth is the
> galactic Nigeria.

Considering that our system is located in deep space between galactic
arms, not only are we Nigeria, worse yet, we are Chad: full of
ignorance  and supertition, fighting all the time, lacking in high tech
infrastructure, no highways, and far from the nearest seaport. Galactic
Nigeria would be scifi paradise compared to Earth.

What other planet calls itself 'dirt'???? ;)

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey