[extropy-chat] Simulation Argument critique (was fermi's paradox: m/d approach)

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 2 18:14:07 UTC 2004

--- Harvey Newstrom <mail at harveynewstrom.com> wrote:
> Dirk Bruere wrote,
> > I think the most likely explanation is the Simulation
> > Argument.
>
> I find the Simulation Argument violates Occam's Razor.  It adds
> complexity that is not needed.  It does not help explain any
> observable phenomenon.  It also seems to reject all science.
> If everything we observe is a simulation, then the simulation
> does not have to be constrained to known physical laws.
> Everything we think we know is wrong.  Anything is possible,
> whether science thinks it is or not.  The acceptance of the
> Simulation Argument seems to require a rejection of science.

Heard of a lecture by Hawking several years ago about what sort of
phenomena one could expect around black holes, and he dumbfounded the
audience by suggesting that ANYthing could be expected to pop out of a
black hole: Thor, Barney the Dinosaur, you name it, if it can be
imagined, it has a potential to come out of a black hole via warping.

Science is only useful for describing what is normal and consistent for
this universe. Its ability to predict what exists outside this
universe, or what may intrude here from other realities (via
singularities) is hamstrung by the fact that science relies on a body
of data from observation, none of which we have regarding these things.

Hawking Radiation is about as close as you can get to penetrating the
veil of the boundary of this universe.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark