[extropy-chat] Simulation Argument critique (was fermi's paradox:m/d approach)

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 2 19:33:07 UTC 2004

--- Harvey Newstrom <mail at harveynewstrom.com> wrote:
> Robert J. Bradbury wrote,
> > On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Harvey Newstrom wrote:
> > > The size/duration/complexity of all real universes is
> > > larger than the size/duration/complexity of all their
> > > simulations put together. [snip]
> >
> > I'm not sure how you justify this Harvey.  It would seem to
> > assume that the universes in which the sims are run are
> > playing by the same laws of physics as our universe.
>
> No, I don't see how.  No matter what laws exist in any universe, the
> simulations within it are subject to those laws.

This is patently false. The only limitations that laws are subject to
are the processing limits of the operating substrate. In many ways, it
is *easier* to simulate LESS physical constraints. Simulating a highly
restrictive set of physical laws takes a lot more processing power.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey