[extropy-chat] that bad old internet

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 3 02:40:01 UTC 2004

spike:

> But anything that is not on that forbidden list is allowed.
> ... This read-my-lips-no-new-no-nos concept results in the Seventh Day
> Adventists being the *only* xian church (that I know of) that holds an
> official pro-choice stance...
> Cloning?  Adventists stand alone among xian denominations as
> coming out officially in favor.  Stem cell research?  Sure.  Genetic
> manipulation? The more the merrier... spike

I forgot an important one: cryonics.  I have spoken
to a number of SDAs, and never has any of them come
up with any reason why cryonics should be discouraged.
This is remarkable in that most xians feel that
cryonics is in some way against their religion.  In
SDA, an intuition of wrongness counts for nothing.  For
something to be wrong, it must have a *specific*
chapter and verse, and it cannot be vague or indirect.