[extropy-chat] random new years thoughts

Alfio Puglisi puglisi at arcetri.astro.it
Sat Jan 3 15:00:30 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Spike wrote:

>As I was reading a science site on today's comet fly-by and tomorrow's
>Mars landing, it occurred to me that most people on this backward planet
>are more interested in the competition aspect of tomorrow's landing than
>in the science: the yanks lost both our last two Mars landers in a most
>ignominious way, the Japanese lost theirs, the Europeans lost theirs.
>Now lets see if the yanks can get it right this time.

I'm not interested in the competition aspect in the least, and will gladly
cheer for the yankee probe it it makes it.
On a side note, I have suspects that the failing of the Beagle2 is some
oscure punishment to the UK for sending the Blur song on Mars, and
repeating that on *every* news release. Oh please.

Alfio