[extropy-chat] Simulation Argument critique (wasfermi'sparadox:m/dapproach)

Sun Jan 4 00:10:57 UTC 2004

Robert J. Bradbury wrote,
> On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, Harvey Newstrom wrote:
>
> > I don't see how anybody can believe in the simulation argument without
> > believing in most religions.  I don't see how anybody can claim the
> > simulation argument is science without including most religions as
> > science.
>
> How about these reasons:
> 1) In a SIM you might be able to bend the reality.  In most religions
>    you can't.
> 2) In a SIM you might escape from the reality.  In most religions
>    you can't change the rules.
> 3) In a SIM you might be able to detect you are in a SIM (e.g. The
>    Truman Show).  In most religions by assertion this is impossible
>    (i.e. you can never tell that the God(s) are frauds).

I do not understand this response.  Are you saying that you believe in a SIM
and not in religions because you prefer the SIM outcomes?  Are you saying
that neither has more scientific evidence, but you choose one over the other
because of your personal preferences for what you hope to be true?  Is this
an explanation for what you call "science" and what you call "religion"?  Or
are you answering some other question?

> Now interestingly this would seem to put string & brane
> theory in the category of religions (from Harvey's
> perspective I think) because they can probably never be
> tested.  I think this leads into some very very subtle
> distinctions, e.g.:
> a) What can never be proven;
> b) What can be proven only by mathematics;
> c) What can be proven only by mathematics with certain assumptions;
> d) What can be proven by experiment.
>
> Feel free to throw stones -- I'm just thinking out loud and
> have some other emails that require attention.

I agree with this hierarchy.  I someone who believes in "a" believes in a
religion.  Someone who believes in "d" is a scientist.  Someone who believes
in "b" or "c" is a theoretician.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,