[extropy-chat] Essay on Physical Immortality

Mark Walker mark at permanentend.org
Sun Jan 4 15:12:29 UTC 2004

The answer to this question is in the paper itself. Opponents of radical
life extension may agree that one should not ration the "normal" lifespan of
individuals but radical life extension goes beyond this. For example,
opponents might think that the former follows from a "right to life" but
disagree that a right to life implies a "right to an immortal life".  Thus,
I think our opponents will see a principled distinction between rationing
mortal lives and immortal lives whereas we don't. I'm trying to offer an
argument against such a principled distinction. So, I think at least some of
our opponents will say that your sketch of an argument begs one of the main
questions.

> I prefer to see them (Kass etc) have to make their case with the
> world looking and wondering how they (Kass etc) got to
> consider that their particular worldview should be particularly
> priviledged. How is it that Kass presumes the wisdom and moral
> judgement to ration other peoples lives... Let Kass etc **make**
> their case if they can - whilst having to *conspicuously* carrying
> the full burden of their prejudice.

I'm not sure what to make of this. I don't see that Kass is saying that his
worldview is privileged in any untoward way. He offers arguments for the
ethical conclusions that he makes--if this is what you mean by a privileged
world view then I am equally guilty. Furthermore, as far as I can tell Kass
doesn't say that we should ration the lives of others, what he argues is
that it is morally impermissible to seek physical immortality. These claims
are distinct--as I point out in the paper.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Walker, PhD
Research Associate, Philosophy, Trinity College
University of Toronto
Room 214  Gerald Larkin Building
15 Devonshire Place
Toronto