[extropy-chat] Essay on Physical Immortality -economics of access

Extropian Agroforestry Ventures Inc. megao at sasktel.net
Mon Jan 5 18:07:13 UTC 2004

The live or let die theme is practiced already in terms of pharmacoeconomic
criteria for drug plan access to drugs and priorization of surgeries and other
life saving therapies.  If I recall right, dialysis stops at 65 unless the
client ponies up the cash in Oregon.

The scenario is  that those with the ability and willingness to spend say 100
million will demand and get immediate access to radical life extension and the
middle class will dissallow such costs for their peers is likely an already
accepted fact.

What Kass and Rifkin are doing is using the issue of  banning of potential
radical life extension technologies  for even the rich to hide the fact that the
policy makers have chosen to deny it for the middle class as well.
To allow the  Gates family to live to 250 would incite Joe Public to want the
same right.