[extropy-chat] Re: Hell

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 6 21:25:36 UTC 2004

--- Jeff Davis <jrd1415 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Extropes,
>
> --- Christian Weisgerber <naddy at mips.inka.de> wrote:
>
> > Alfio Puglisi <puglisi at arcetri.astro.it> wrote:
> >
> > > A lake of molten brimstone [sulfur] means that its
> > temperature must be at
> > > or below the boiling point, which is 444.6 degrees
> > C. (Above that point,
> > > it would be a vapor, not a lake.)
> >
> > Well, we don't know about the pressure in Hell, do
> > we?
>
> Actually we can make an educated guess, if we take it
> as axiomatic that hell is down inside the earth
> somewhere.  By googling up temperature vs depth and
> pressure vs depth profiles, we could set an upper and
> lower bound.

Ah, yes, didn't account for gravity in the soul v demon immigration
situation. However, you must consider that the pressure must be low
enough for sulphur to be liquid (and the temp as well).

Using similar logic, I find that it is a bit difficult to actually
place where heaven is. The claim that in heaven the moon is as bright
as the sun is on earth implies that heaven is somewhere in lunar orbit,
but to say the sun is seven times brighter than on earth implies that
it is somewhere inside of the orbit of Venus, since the solar flux in
lunar orbit is only 1.4 times that on earth. Are we sure that the
original hebrew said "THE moon" and not just "A moon"??? Perhaps it is
a different star system altogether. Then again, is it restricted only
to visible light?

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark