[extropy-chat] For Us, The Living: evolution sentences

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 7 03:41:50 UTC 2004

Damien Broderick expressed the opinion that an
inattentive editor let this sentence slip thru:

> > One rock
> >selected him and came straight toward him. It was a handsome rock,
flat on
> >one side and brilliant while in the sunshine...

This is a mutant sentence.

Biological genetic drift depends on random
mutations which change the genome in such a way that
the mutant either is beneficial, or at least not harmful
to the individual.  Evolution of new species depends upon
this phenomenon.

Damien's example is a mutant sentence: a sentence that is
one letter off of the author's likely intention, yet the
typo forms a new word and the new word forms a part of
speech that causes the new sentence to make sense.  In
some rare cases the mutant sentence is better than the
original, which we could call an evolution sentence.

Anyone know of examples in literature in which one
can form an evolution sentence by adding, subtracting
or changing a single letter?