[extropy-chat] NEWS: Virtual cash exchange goes live

J Corbally jcorb at iol.ie
Thu Jan 8 00:59:17 UTC 2004

An item that appears to have made the small news, but may be a small step
to bigger news in the future;

>Virtual cash exchange goes live

>Online games now have their own foreign exchange that lets players buy and
>sell different virtual currencies just like in the real world.
>The Gaming Open Market allows players who control characters in games such
>as Star Wars Galaxies, The Sims Online and Ultima, to buy and sell the
>currencies used in the different game worlds.
>Players can convert cash reserves in one game into a different currency in
>another world or sell their virtual money for US dollars.
>The market now has 29 characters in six different games that act as
>virtual bank managers in the separate worlds.

The website is http://www.gamingopenmarket.com/

I was thinking; given a monetary system, would it be possible to implement
a form of Robin Hanson's Terrorism Futures concept into this?  Instead of
Al Qaeda attacks and such, players would put their money on which
player/guild will be the next to suffer a surprise attack for example.  If
it was workable, it could potentially be proof-of-concept without the
emotional outbursts that doomed the original.

Now, if it becomes possible to turn virtual money into *realworld* money on
an ongoing basis....(outside of Ebay).

Or should that be "when".

James...