[extropy-chat] Essay on Physical Immortality (terminology)

Russell Evermore nanowave at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 8 05:30:21 UTC 2004

Well I see some work has been done to promote "Emortal" as the meme de jour,
but I'd still like to submit for your late consideration one other
possibility:

        - drum roll -

                            "Permasentient"

As far as I can google, permasentient appears to be of my own coinage.

Permasentient, unlike immortality, nicely encompasses the tranhumanist ideal
of uploading, which as you know, involves not so much the continuation of
LIFE per se (in the sense that typical humans would appreciate and value it)
but the continuation of SENTIENCE in a way that many if not most
transhumanists surely would.

Permasentient or permasentience handily sidestepps the *implied promise of
success* that so heavily burdens word like 'immortality' due to centuries of
faith-based 'religio-afterlife' association and usage.

Permasentient cheerfully resists becoming just another 'ism.'  Not so
'Emortal.'

Permasentient brings to mind other words like: permanent press,
permaculture, and permafrost. We've all grown accustomed to 'permanent'
things not really being permanent in the literal sense of forever and ever
and ever and ever ...

Permafrost reminds me of cryonics ever since I read an interesting piece Ben
Best wrote several years back exploring burial-in-permafrost as a viable
poor man's alternative to cryonics (a view he's since moved away from as I
understand).

Anyhow.

Meesa back!
Russell Evermore