[extropy-chat] ENOUGH already

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 9 15:06:06 UTC 2004

--- Harvey Newstrom <mail at harveynewstrom.com> wrote:
> Matus wrote,
> > Are you claiming, absolutely, that not only have all wars
> > that have ever occurred but all wars that could possibly
> > occur are definitely anti-extropic?  Quite a strong assertion.
>
> Actually, your argument against this statement seems to be the strong
> assertion.
>
> Why can't we just allow the general statement that "war is bad"?  It
> does not seem to be such an unreasonable assertion.

All state action is bad. How about that assertion?

> > A more reasonable question (if one can call such questions
> > reasonable) would be how many lives are worth an increase in
> > extropy, and how much of an increase?
>
> No we can not call such questions reasonable.  I don't know why it
> keeps coming up on this list.

Because ALL conflict, all state sponsored action, is a cost benefit
measured action, not just conflict with guns and other weapons. For
example, the legislated banning of DDT has resulted in more deaths from
malaria than those exterminated by Mao, Stalin, and Hitler. All because
some entropically orthodox enviromentalist nuts value birds more than
humans.

> > Debates of that sort have been tossed around on this list
> > all ready.
>
> It almost seems as if there is a subgroup of people who keep trying
> to justify committing violence as part of the extropian agenda.

This is an absolutely FALSE assertion, and I request you retract it.
This subject is active on this list because of Mark Walker's inane and
thinly vieled argument that Extropians should become absolute
pacifists.

There are quite a number of paleo-extropians who look on this list with
disgust these days because of these sorts of pacifistic arguments.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey