[extropy-chat] Fermi Paradox and Simulation Argument

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 10 01:48:48 UTC 2004

My thoughts on:

1. Fermi paradox:
      Any advanced species from an extrasolar planet would have realized the same Darwinian processes have shaped the life on their world as it has on ours. Knowing that any other advanced species it encounters would more likely represent a competitor than an ally. Especially since life based on selfish replicators such as genes, or even memes for that matter, would converge on similar strategies of kin selection and deception to forward their own ends. Therefore it would seem reasonable that any sufficiently advanced alien species would be too canny to advertise their existence through indiscriminate radio broadcasts for fear of invasion or, if more agressive, to avoid tipping their hands to any potential targets for invasion.
      The Fermi Paradox could be a little like a naval battle between submarines where each sub is carefully listening to their passive sonars trying to detect enemy subs and is loathe to use their active sonars for fear of allowing the enemy to pinpoint their location. If that is the case, we may already be screwed.

2. Simulation argument:
We do all live in a simulation but each person lives in their OWN simulation. It is called the mind which is in essence a simulation being run by the brain of objective reality which can be modelled and approximated but not precisely known. In our own heads we simulate everything from physical phenomenon to the behavior of our neighbors in an attempt to further our own survival. Any further layers of simulation seem redundant and pointless except for recreational value.