[extropy-chat] http://www.julianbarbour.com/

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 10 08:56:26 UTC 2004

> Damien Broderick
>
> ... hoisting me on my own recent petard...

Ah yes, the Shakespearean SF author among us can perhaps
shed light upon this comment:

Still, this shows that it doesn't pay to up and leave...

Damien Broderick

What part of speech is "up"?  Does the preposition become
a verb?  If so, it represents yet an example of which I
can immediately think of only two, the other being the
curious catchphrase "the truth will out."  What is that?
Does "out" become a verb?  For otherwise that sentence
has no verb, or as some jokers might say

"That sentence no verb."

We know of many shameful examples of nouns becoming
verbs in modern vulgar usage, but must we now attack
and degrade our prepositions too?

I have heard for all my life about people up and doing
things, such as dying, but never has it been adequately
explained what up is doing in that sentence.

The AI will be so puzzled.