[extropy-chat] Re: Fermi Paradox and Simulation Argument

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Sat Jan 10 18:59:11 UTC 2004

Robert J. Bradbury" <bradbury at aeiveos.com> Wrote:

> there seems to be a significant probability
> that we are about to shift from evolution
> driven by random adaptation to
> evolution driven by conscious processes.

Yes, I agree completely.

>>    A single civilization can settle a galaxy in no time.

>But there is no point!

It would probably be the same point that Humans had when they settled the
Earth.

>>   It can settle several galaxies a short time later.

>Which would be even more pointless.

Are you certain that every strange citizen in every alien super civilization
would feel as you do about that? It would just take one, and after all,
several members from even your own species don't feel as you do about that.

>It seems unlikely that one can achieve  greater intelligence
>or any other benefits this way.

Intelligence will need matter and it will need energy, if you wish to
maximize intelligence you will to engineer the galaxy and then the entire
universe. This does not appear to have happened which makes me think alien
super civilizations do not exist.

  John K Clark      jonkc at att.net