[extropy-chat] Your thoughts on the news

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 10 22:39:22 UTC 2004

--- Devon White <devon at thegreatwork.com> wrote:

> What i would like to know is this: if you could turn
on FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS, etc. . . and design the
information that you as well as other people would
get, what would it be?

               ---------------------

Here's what I want to see, Devon.  Take "Mystery
Science Theatre 3000"--wherein a cheesy old SciFi
movie is screened with the rather quirky audience
providing exceedingly clever and 'enlightened'
commentary, and turn it into "Mystery Pundit Theatre
3000".

Take the news-or-other-punditry and interpose a
'protective' layer of 'control'--freeze-frame, replay,
and edit--and irreverent commentary between 'it' and
the audience.

For years I have been absolutely frothing at the mouth
to see this treatment meted out to all those
proper/phony pundit and talking-head types.  I am
confident that fair use would allow you to excerpt a
bucket load of choice bits, the which you could then
gleefully rip and shred with unbridled ridicule.
Meanwhile, the offending bitstream with it's
sacred-cow face is held frozen before the firing squad
of the aggrieved.

It warms me just to think of what it would be like.  I
mean, I regularly scream at the lying pretentious
weaseloids, as they attempt--in vain--to damage my
brain with their devious self-delusional self-serving
memetic emetic.  (I flatter myself that my defenses
are robust against their onslaught.  In any case it
isn't me their aiming at, but the paying choir and the
stupidly impressionable.)

I think there must be a coupla a billion others out
there like me, who fume at being bombarded by
seeming-authoritative sputum, powerless to respond to
the one-way-broadcast model.  The mute/off button is
not good enough.  I want payback.  I want my voice
heard from the audience.  After all the years of
helpless anonymous 'silence' at this end of the
one-way crapola stream, I want satisfaction.

Commentary on the commentators.  Unfair and unbalanced
and un-fuckin-apologetic.

Please.  Pulleeease!  I'll even promise to watch the
goddamned commercials (though I'd prefer to buy it
outright, commercial-free, on cable.)

Best, Jeff Davis

    I believe -- no pun intended:) -- the practical
    thing is usually to change those beliefs that
    cause the most immediate trouble...
                      Daniel Ust