[extropy-chat] i-language again

Damien Broderick thespike at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 11 19:23:23 UTC 2004

From: "David Lubkin" <extropy at unreasonable.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2004 12:16 PM

>          http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/~wn/
>
> >Overview for "spike"
> >
> >The noun "spike" has 9 senses in WordNet.
> >
> >1. spike -- (a transient variation in voltage or current)
> >2. spike -- (sports equipment consisting of a sharp point on the sole of
> >shoe worn by athletes; "spikes provide greater traction")
> >3. ear, spike, capitulum -- (fruiting spike of a cereal plant especially
corn)
> >4. spike -- ((botany) an indeterminate inflorescence bearing sessile
> >flowers on an unbranched axis)
> >5. spike -- (a sharp rise followed by a sharp decline; "the seismograph
> >showed a sharp spike in response to the temblor")
> >6. spike -- (a sharp-pointed projection along the top of a fence or wall)
> >7. spike -- (a long sharp-pointed implement (wood or metal))
> >8. spike -- (any holding device consisting of a long sharp-pointed
object)
> >9. spike -- (a long metal nail)
> >
> >The verb "spike" has 6 senses in WordNet.
> >
> >1. spike -- (stand in the way of)
> >2. transfix, impale, empale, spike -- (pierce with a sharp stake or
point;
> >"impale a shrimp on a skewer")
> >3. spike -- (secure with spikes)
> >4. spike, spike out -- (bring forth a spike or spikes; "my hyacinths and
> >orchids are spiking now")
> >5. spike, lace, fortify -- (add alcohol beverages)
> >6. spike -- (manifest a sharp increase; "the voltage spiked")

Dear oh dear--the system's clearly still ignorant of the most important
meaning! (Although verbs 4 and 6 edge onto it.)

It's not too hot on `singularity' either:

< The noun "singularity" has 2 senses in WordNet.

1. singularity, uniqueness -- (the quality of being one of a kind; "that
singularity distinguished him from all his companions")
2. singularity -- (strangeness by virtue of being remarkable or unusual) >

Damien Broderick
www.thespike.us