[extropy-chat] Re: Fraud

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 11 19:38:38 UTC 2004

--- David Lubkin <extropy at unreasonable.com> wrote:
> I wrote:
>
> >In the software industry, good engineers are often faced with stated
> >job requirements that they don't meet but that aren't actually
needed
> >for the job. They exaggerate their experience to get the job,
> > believing they know
> >better than the HR department or hiring manager.
>
> as an example of a possible violation of the NCP. Mike responded:
>
> >If an ignorant HR weenie publishes job requirements that are
> >fraudlent, how is responding with a fraudulent resume an
> > initiation of force?
>
> I didn't say the requirements were fraudulent. I was referring to
> situations where the req specifies a job requirement out of ignorance
> or unnecessary cautiousness.

If the HR weenie claims:
a) the authority and knowledge to judge your capability to fit the
qualifications specified for the job.
and
b) by expressing ignorant or excessively cautious requirements, exposes
that s/he is not qualified to judge

then the HR weenies' claims of competent authority are fraudulent. Of
course, it is easy to prove one's case when the HR weenie specs
requirements for years of experience in a technology that is not as old
as that specified.

Typically I have found that such ads are actually a fraudulent means of
getting through the legal requirements that need to be satisfied before
the company can go and hire a foreigner. They invent what they think is
a hopelessly inflated list of job requirements, expecting not to find
anyone with such a breadth of experience, so they can say, "oh well, we
couldn't find any American to fill the job."

One HR person told me in writing (after I sent a second letter
inquiring into the status of the position) that while I fit their
requirements, they had decided to outsource the work to India.

My sister works in HR, she's the IT manager for the HR department of
the Eastern Connecticut Health Care Network (about six hospitals owned
by the same corp). She knows all the games that HR departments use. HR
fraud is real, it is wide spread, and they are very well trained at
avoiding legal culpability for what they are doing.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey