[extropy-chat] Priorities: Longevity, food or viruses?

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Mon Jan 12 21:25:59 UTC 2004

At 03:33 PM 1/12/2004 -0500, Harvey Newstrom wrote:

>I think most people, even conservatives, estimate running out of oil
>sometime this century.  Whether it is 20 or 60 years, we still are in the
>century that runs out of oil.

Oil perhaps, but not hydrocarbons. We keep finding major pockets,
especially of natural gas. At current consumption rates, we have several
centuries of proven resources of hydrocarbons.

Also, we don't understand the geochemical processes that manufacture them,
so we can't estimate the replenishment rate.

In any case, however much exists, the best thing we can do is keep statists
from interfering with the free market signals that will efficiently spur
conservation and the availability of cost-effective alternatives.

>With our longer life-spans today, especially for transhumanists, it is
>almost definite that we will live to see the end of oil resources.

I don't know about you, but I don't intend to be on this planet at that time.

-- David Lubkin.