[extropy-chat] i-language again

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 13 07:47:51 UTC 2004

> Spike:

> It would require some sort
> of universal dictionary, in which the definitions all
> appear as pictures.  This is something that could never
> have been done before the internet existed.
>
> Example, spike.  (1) picture of a railroad spike.
> (2) picture of a athletic shoe with cleats.
> (3) picture of graph with a sudden upturn.
> (11) picture of Spike Jones the musician, etc... spike

Further thoughts: the nouns would be simple to find
graphical representations.  Most of the images are
already available somewhere on the web.  The task of
finding and placing the images into a universal
online graphical dictionary is enormous, but it can
be divided among 1E5 human volunteer enthusiasts, or 1E6.
For round 1 we could send everyone out to search for
their favorite noun.  Eventually we would need to assign
tasks: Harvey, find an toupe.  Spike, find an aardvark.
Damien find a kazoo.  {Well, both kazoos, (1) the toy
musical instrument and the (2) ass, as in "Bill Gates
has money up the kazoo."}

The verbs are more difficult, but this perhaps is the
point.  In the bad old days when information was mostly
stored on paper, a graphical representation of most
verbs would be difficult if not impossible.  Consider
the familiar example "spike".  How would you draw a
picture explaining a volleyball spike?  Now imagine
a gorgeous Lara Croft character going up for a beautiful
stylish slo-mo whackeroo spike for the point.  Are you
seeing it?

The adverbs could be described with an animation of just
the unmodified verb and a second animation with the verb:
example: an ordinary vollyball spike, then a gnarly spike
for instance, the latter having greater than ordinary
enthusiam and style.

Adjectives would likewise require two pictures, one with
and one without the adjective.  Ordinary high heels first
then spike heels second, for instance.

Whaddya think?  If we started a website to create a universal
grahical dictionary, could we raise 1E5 volunteer to chip in
an hour or two looking around for words?  Or to look at the
existing animations and filling in the columns with the
equivalent words from their native language?