[extropy-chat] BIO: Large brains gene

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Tue Jan 13 15:32:57 UTC 2004

Well, on top of our discussion last week about what genes
one should select for in children, scientists have announced
a strong candidate gene as the source for large human brains.

See:
2004-01-13
Gene May Be Key To Evolution Of Larger Human Brain
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/01/040113075403.htm

Interestingly, the gene -- the Abnormal Spindle-Like Microcephaly
Associated (ASPM) gene, when defective causes human microcephaly.

Now, the question would be -- is there any strong statistical
evidence that larger brains (larger heads???) correlate with
greater intelligence?

I would bet that someone is writing a grant proposal today
to look for polymorphisms in the gene to see if they correlate
with IQ.  I wonder what the response will be if polymorphisms are
found and potential parents can determine with relative certainty
that they are most probably going to have children with diminished
intelligence?

Robert