[extropy-chat] Sleeplessness

Matus matus at matus1976.com
Tue Jan 13 16:12:15 UTC 2004

<http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk/health/main.jhtml?xml=/health/2004/01/0
6/
> hw
> ake06.xml>
> >   The 44-hour day
> >
> > A new prescription drug that can stave off sleep for
> > hours - with no side-effects - could transform the way
> > we live. The armed forces already use it; others, from
> > new mothers to shift-workers, might benefit too. So
> > what effect did it have on Julia Llewellyn Smith over
> > the party season?
>
> One warning quote from the article:  "I'm surprised to feel my legs
shake
> slightly - a symptom of exhaustion. I realize modafinil may stop you
from
> feeling sleepy but you still feel tired. My limbs grow heavier, but
that
> doesn't stop the wakefulness. If wake-up drugs catch on, 'tiredness'
and
> 'sleepiness' will have to be separated: a hard concept to grasp."

Speaking from experience having used modafinil Id say Harvey's warnings
are just about right on.  I wrote some of my experiences with this drug
and posted in on the extropy list a while back.  Your body certainly
feels the soreness that goes along with no sleep, even if functionally
you are wide awake and alert.

In the article the author says

"But as the hours wear on, I notice what doesn't happen: no yawning, no
intense yearning for a 2pm nap. Instead I steadily work through my to-do
list."

This is exactly what it did for me, even after only 3 or 4 hours of
sleep, or even after no sleep, I could make it through an 8 hours
workday with no yawning and no need for sleep overcoming me, and no
desire for an afternoon nap.  This worked especially well during
meetings, which even after a long good sleep I had trouble staying awake
in.

> This is similar to other reports I have reviewed.  This drug
eliminates
> the
> sleepiness and desire to sleep, but it does not eliminate the need for
> sleep
> or the symptoms of sleep deprivation.  A person can go quite a long
time
> without sleep.  This drug seems to block the urge to sleep and helps
> people
> force their bodies to continue functioning during sleep deprivation.
> However, it is not clear that it actually reduces the need for sleep.

I don't think it could eliminate sleep, but I think it can reduce the
amount of sleep you need, especially in people who need more than the
average amount of sleep.  My girlfriend at the time needed 10 - 12 hours
of sleep, on modafinil (only 50 mg a day) she could get by just fine on
7 or 8 hours.

In all, Id say Harvey's comments are right on this.  You wont be able to
get rid of the need for sleep, but I would add you probably could reduce
the need, though I did not take the drug long enough nor track my sleep
accurately enough to be sure.  It is an expensive drug, coming out to $5
- $6 a pill for a 100 mg tab.  To really go without sleep for two days
or more you need 2 100mg tab every 8 hours, $30 a day.

Has anyone besides me actually used this drug on the extropy list?
Thoughts, experiences?

Michael Dickey