[extropy-chat] late response to Dan/Technotranscendence

Kevin Freels kevinfreels at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 13 19:04:11 UTC 2004

I happen to agree with you about the majority.

I am still working on my human evolution research and this is something I
have been pondering for a while. Is there a real genetic difference between
the "sighted" as you call them, and the unsighted? Is it a spontaneous
mutation? (I'd like to have Eli's response on this as well). Or is it a
purely cultural phenomenon?
Along the same lines, is there a link between "intelligence" and
self-awareness? It seems to me that the people who are "sighted" also happen
to be less aware of themselves and their rnvironment. You see them every day
driving down the road for 20 miles with the turn signal on. They have no
idea who is next to them when they are sitting at a stop light and when they
are car-jacked, it comes as a total surprise while I tend to think I would
notice someone approaching my car so that I could take evasive actions.
(Hmmm, I wonder if accident rates are higher for those as well. I've only
been in one collision and I was rear-ended and had no place to go. Insurance
companies could have fun with this!)

Are we really different, or is it just our culture and environment? If we
are different, then that would explain the slow pace of advancement for the
first 150,000 years of our species. Maybe only 1 in 200,000 is a tool
"maker" while the rest are simply tool "users". A tool "maker" would have
been very rare then. I wonder if enough CAT scans and MRIs of two groups,
the "sighted" and "unsighted" would show any real difference.

As far as voting goes, the only option to letting everyone vote is allowing
only the "sighted" to vote. The problem ? Who decides which one you are?

Kevin