[extropy-chat] Mappa Mundi

BillK bill at wkidston.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jan 13 22:21:06 UTC 2004

On Tue Jan 13, 2004 05:24 am Anders Sandberg wrote:

 > <http://www.astro.princeton.edu/~mjuric/universe/>
 >
 > A map showing a geocentric perspective of the entire universe. The
 > trick is to make one direction logarithmic, which makes it possible
to > depict everything (more or less) from the Earth's core out to the
Big > Bang. The other direction represents declination, making this a
slice > across the universe along the ecliptic.

This map was published in New Scientist 22 Nov 2003 with explanatory
articles. I have a copy at the side of my desk. It unfolds to about
81cms (32 inches) and looks really impressive. The Andromeda galaxy is
labeled 'Andromeda galaxy' on this copy of the map. The Milky Way disc
is also textured as you suggested, so I think New Scientist did a lot of
editing on the map to make it suitable for publication.

You might be able to get a back issue from them. It is well worth it.

BillK