[extropy-chat] Sleeplessness

Wed Jan 14 05:47:46 UTC 2004

Paul Grant wrote,
> Also I noticed that the evening->morning memory is
> absolutely the best one - if I read something before
> sleeping, and I'm paying the due attention, I can recite it
> almost verbatim the morning after (not just pseudo-photo
> memory, since I could reason about it).

I knew I forgot to mention something in my last reply about memory!  :-)

There are experimental results that support your claim that going to sleep
after studying helps you remember things.  One of the functions that occurs
during sleep is the coding of memories.  Subjects who studied similar
materials could remember it better if they slept just after studying it.
Sleep really did improve their ability to retain the material.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,