[extropy-chat] SOC: Advanced society = advanced morality?

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Wed Jan 14 20:35:26 UTC 2004

Mike Lorrey wrote:
> --- Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you Rafal for posting this exchange.  In addition to the
>> insightful comments on intellectual property, I'm encouraged to
>> find another thoughful voice in support of the idea that a more
>> advanced society would naturally tend to be more moral.
>
> This is an intriguing point. I'll note Neal Stephenson's similar
> commentary by characters in The Diamond Age, where, in light of
> breathtaking avancements in technology, at least some part of the
> population sought social stability by instituting neo-victorian social
> mores.

I find it interesting that very often heightened morality is associated with
repressive morality.  I've often wondered about the apparent fascination
with Victorian manners in science fiction, e.g., _The Diamond Age_,
_Aristoi_, _The Golden Age_ trilogy.  I suspect its utility in fiction is
more for its ornateness, than for accurate depiction of true morality.
Perhaps Damien would share some insights on this apparent trend.

> This might also be reflected in the forces in 19th century Britain
> which brought about the original Victorian Age. You had the first real
> era of rapid growth and advancement compared to prior ages, both in
> technology and economics, which triggered at first an age of moral
> degradation and excess which was backlashed by the Victorians.
> It might also explain how American political forces seem divided
> between those preferring social stability and economic dynamism vs
> those seeking economic stability and social dynamism.
> Do people have to have some area which is anchored in stability, even
> stasis? Do they need this to retain some sort of grip on the world and
> their lives?

I would agree with you that Victorian morality appears to have been a
backlash effect, and we may see similar ripples in next few decades, which I
hope are damped by greatly enhanced communication capability.

My thesis is in quite the opposite direction:  that greater morality
corresponds with the greater freedom of choice and the greater awareness of
consequences that can be expected with a more highly evolved society.

There is a difficulty with the term "morality" in that it implies subjective
human values.  Perhaps a better term would be "right action" but this is
closely associated with Buddhism.  Maybe we'll eventually switch to the
rather sterile term "utility" for most such discussion.

- Jef

http://www.jefallbright.net/arrow_of_morality