[extropy-chat] Fractals and Crash

BillK bill at wkidston.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Jan 16 10:41:21 UTC 2004

On Thu Jan 15, 2004 01:56 am Gina Miller wrote:
> My other news is that my computer crashed on the 3rd. I have sent
> that drive to a recovery service and I am now running on a new drive
> with a clean install.

It should be pointed out that this will happen to everyone on the list.
Yes, YOUR hard drive will crash. It might be next year, it might be next
month, but it will cease to be at some time.

So, take steps to protect your data while you still can.
(Disk recovery services are expensive!)

Buy another disk drive and use it for backup copies. They have become
pretty cheap now. If you buy a new faster drive, you can use it as your
main drive and use the old one for backups. Cost it as an upgrade for
your pc. You'll have to buy another drive anyway when the old one
breaks, so why not do it now?

If you are nervous about opening your computer to fit another drive,
then you can buy an external drive that just plugs into the back of your
PC. An external drive has the advantage that you can store it away from
your main pc, so it will still be safe if your main pc is stolen or in a
fire.

There are many backup alternatives, of course. A cd-writer can be used
for weekly backups for example.

But do something to protect your data.

BillK