EDU: Public Schools (Was: Re: [extropy-chat] Game theory of common cold)

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 19 17:47:21 UTC 2004

--- Kevin Freels <kevinfreels at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Others pay -- including
> >those who don't have children and those whose children are either
> past
> >school age or who do not use public schools -- for schools as well,
> so
> >this lowers the costs of parenting when the parents use public
> schools.
>
> Let's not forget that even those who have no children were once
> children themselves and most likely benefited from the school system.

Actually, most states give tax rebates to senior citizens (in this
case, typically people over 50 or 55) who no longer have stay-at-home
children. Some states issue blanket exemptions for residencies that
require that all tenants have no minor children.

The primary people who pay taxes for education without benefit are
those who don't have kids.

> Also, it is important to realize the benefit of having an "educated"
> populations (I use the word educated VERY loosely here). It is a
> shame that more parents simply don't get even slightly involved
> in their children's education. The resource is there, paid for
> by everyone, and yet many parents just don't seem to give a damn!
> Most of them are like this because of how their parents were. It's
> a vicious cycle of stupidity!

It isn't that at all. It is that the humongous taxes of today prevent
parents from having the time to get involved.

Besides, this is outside the scope of the issue being discussed, unless
you want to present evidence about the monetary benefits of low quality
public education outweighing the benefits of proven superior home
schooling and private education, in addition to the health benefits
that home schooling provides.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark