[extropy-chat] Re: Public Schools

Kevin Freels kevinfreels at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 19 20:09:32 UTC 2004

Wait a minute. I think we may be on the same page here except for one thing.
Are you saying that public education is compulsory in your state? In
Indiana, home schooling is already an option that a parent can take. I think
there is even a division of the school system that will assist a parent if
they don;t know how to get started. I've known several people who benefitted
from home-schooling.

Also, I never meant to say that home schooling was wrong, bad, or otherwise
inferior to public education. My point was that the public school system
must be there as an option as well since there are many who either can't or
won;t home-school. Then there was the general complaining about how some
parents could improve their children's education by simply being more
involved. The public benefits from the availability of public education in
the long run because many children would not learn enough to even do labor
or count money if they didn't have it available. These children would
forever be on the public dole. I thought you were making a case for
elimination of the public school system. I realize how it has contributed to
the cycle of dependency, but that cycle is there and could only be removed
by a long term reduction in dependency through several generations.

As for paying for it, I would rather pay for public education and have an
option to home school combined with a tax-credit than continue to foot the
bill for highly marked up big screen TVs. I don;t even have one!
Kevin Freels