[extropy-chat] Atkins Diet Change

Tue Jan 20 02:32:32 UTC 2004

Mike Lorrey wrote,
> --- Harvey Newstrom <mail at harveynewstrom.com> wrote:
> > The promoters of the Atkins diet finally acknowledge that Atkins
> > dieters need to cut back on meat and saturated fats.
>
> Please be more accurate, as you are below. They say that you
> get better results if you don't eat as much RED meat.

Oops, I missed this comment and didn't respond before.

Yes, Mike is right, they said "red meat", not just meat.  The emphasis was
specifically on getting too much fat and especially too much saturated fat
on the Atkins diet.

My point was that many Atkins dieters claimed they could eat all the fat
they wanted without problem.  The Atkins organization now specifically
disclaims this, saying that Atkins dieters should keep fats less than 20% of
calories.  They say that the diet does not allow one to eat more fats, and
even claim that Atkins and the diet never advocated eating a lot of fat.

The main problem with meat today is the way farm factories create fattened
animals.  Animals in the wild ate less, exercised more, and were much leaner
than today's versions of meat.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,